Update 5/19/2014: News outlets or individuals interested in speaking with Mr. Humphrey need to utilize our contact form here. We can arrange communication for you if need be.
Update 5/17/2014: The prison, L.O.R.C.I has stopped showing movies entirely. Columbus reports full out investigation. Still no disciplinary action has been taken.
This information has been made available as part of an investigation that was conducted jointly between ScrollDog & Richard Humphrey. Also, TorrentFreak.com has created a spectacular article with the content we generated which can be found here: U.S. Prisons Play Pirated Movies to Inmates.
Warden Clipper places a call to Richard Humphrey in regards to Copyright Infringement taking place at her facility (Lorain Correctional Institution). Copyrighted Movies, such as “Ride Along”, “The Wolf Of Wall Street” and others prior to release on DVD are being brought in by Corrections officers and watched within the institution. An ongoing investigation is currently taking place at the facility.
Having trouble listening? Click here to download the full audio.
Ohio’s wiretapping law is a “one-party consent” law. Ohio law makes it a crime to intercept or record any “wire, oral, or electronic communication” unless one party to the conversation consents.Ohio Rev. Code § 2933.52.
Sequence of Events
- Between 2002 & 2006 Richard Humphrey was introduced to copyright infringement behind bars in the Lorain County Juvenile Detention center. This occurred at intermittent times (depending on dates of incarceration). The movies were brought in by corrections officers Mr. Whitfield & Mr. Vasselhoff.
- In 2006 & 2007 Richard Humphrey was raided by the Federal Bureau of Investigation due to an ongoing investigation into copyright infringement.
- In 2010 Richard Humphrey began serving a 29 month prison term in Federal Prison for one count of copyright infringement. The websites that he operated were USAWAREZ.COM, USATORRENTS.COM, AMERICANDDL.COM, EZPORTABLEDL.NET, WRZNETWORK.COM, MARCHFORAMILLION.COM & HUMPMYSPACE.COM.
- Richard Humphrey’s attorney John D. Pincura III was and still is a well known, established practicing lawyer and handled the first ever Anti-Trust case out of Cleveland. Mr. Pincura informed Mr. Humphrey that his sentencing Judge (Leslie Wells – now retired) had children whom were engaged in copyright infringement. This came about as a result of a discussion between the attorney & the Judge.
- In 2010 while Mr. Humphrey was being escorted via elevator by U.S. Marshalls to be sentenced, he was asked by the U.S. Marshalls if various sites that they frequented were illegal. Sites mentioned were “Justin.TV”, “Joox.net” & “Katz.cd”. Mr. Humphrey’s response was “Take off your extra set of cuffs, put them on your wrists and stand here next to me”.
- In 2011 & 2012 when Mr. Humphrey was released from Federal Prison he was sent to the Oriana House (a half-way house) as part of a re-integration program. Residents & staff alike brought in and watched copyright infringing movies not yet released on DVD or Blu-Ray.
- In 2014, Mr. Humphrey was once again incarcerated for an un-related offense and discovered that copyright infringement was taking place at Lorain Correctional Institution by various members of staff; C.O. Cambell and others.
All Scans, Information, Evidence & Audios provided above were done so legally and lawfully. In the State of Ohio, Audio Conversations can be recorded with “one party consent”. If you feel that we are in violation of State or Federal law, please Contact Us. Thank you.
We would like to thank TorrentFreak & Richard Humphrey for making this article possible. Richard Humphrey had to use a 3rd party in order to provide us with the information provided. Again a special thanks to Mr. Humphrey for taking the time to slowly but surely deliver the information and ultimately to TorrentFreak for delivering a masterpiece of a story!